COTA Update

return to EiE 11

Most of you should be aware from emails, texts, post, or our website, that the 2010‑11 offer on pay and leave was rejected by over 70% of members voting. As this edition of EiE goes to the press we are awaiting feedback from the employers indicating whether or not an improved offer will be made. If an offer is forthcoming, we will recall our joint Shop Stewards negotiating team and meet with the employers to discuss any offer. If there is no offer forthcoming, we will have to move directly to ballot for industrial action.

There are many things to take into consideration here and we have a duty to keep you informed about everything which could affect your decision. For example you should know by now that the OCA troops have done their deal at 1.9%, while the UKDCA (drillers) have done a deal at 1.95%. The offer made by COTA, which was rejected, was 1.95% and the similarities between the various deals should come as no surprise when you consider who the real 'paymasters' are ‑ the oil companies ‑ yes those people who continue to generate substantive profits year on year!

The COTA deal was offering 21 days paid leave, but there was a 4‑day claw back provision and many members indicated the claw back was completely unacceptable. We have communicated this to the employers and we hope they will react accordingly. Travel and accommodation expenses are another big issue and again we've flagged this up with the employers.

Staying with working time; we await the outcome of the Court action which might go in our favour and would certainly blow a hole in the COTA proposal. That said, it could go against us, in which case the 21‑day offer would be pretty attractive given if we lose you will have NO holiday entitlement! You should also be reminded that where you do enjoy an enhanced rota of 2x3 or 2x2 ‑ 2x4, these are 'client gifted' and could be taken away. Do not lose sight of this as we suspect some kind of reaction from the 'paymasters' if they get a successful outcome from the court. The 'rumour‑mill' is up and running!

You have a big decision to make in the coming weeks people and it is a decision you must not take lightly. If you have any questions or require any further information do not hesitate to get in touch by email or though the web site at; As soon as we have received a formal response from the employers this will be communicated to you immediately via all of the usual means. Meantime, watch this space.

return to EiE 11

website of oilc-rmt